Monday, February 22, 2010

Get Linked In With LinkedIn

It's an interesting phenomenon that has happened to me since I have been at college. Every time a job fair comes along on campus or the a semester is ending, I get a flood of emails in my inbox saying that "Someone new would like to Link to you on LinkedIn!" It is at that time I am reminded of my LinkedIn profile that I made sometime in my senior year of high school after reading that it would be a good tool. I still do think it will be a good tool, but it is a working profile/resume that takes time to develop before you can start searching for others to become a part of your network. I feel like I want to keep my profile and maintain it every once in a while and then when the big time comes closer, I will make it more public and open so that I can enter the world of LinkedIn with confidence. After all, networking with someone with a lot of experience is a lot more valuable than networking with someone who know less than what you know. To me, it's all about learning the ropes before diving in... (I might have used two idioms right there and combined them into one, I hope you get it.)

As I read in the Yahoo article by Liz Ryan, "Networking gives you a chance to meet new people, but quality trumps quantity in human relationships, every time."

As a business I would love to use LinkedIn as a recruiting tool because it puts all the information you need right in front of you. Having prospects send you a link to their profile makes everything so easy and efficient.

1 comment:

  1. LinkedIn is such a good resource toward finding new employees and posting up new jobs. As it is becoming more popular, it is making it easier to connect with people and find that dream job or those dream employees. It is like facebook, but in a way that you network to find a job instead of reconnecting with old friends.

    ReplyDelete